Single Mom Grants for College

Higher education is an extraordinary expense in the best of circumstances, but lone parents face even greater challenges in paying for college. Often mothers suspend their educational activities to meet the needs of caring for their children. When mom is alone, it becomes increasingly difficult for her to return and finish her studies. So in this article, we will discuss single mom grants for college.


Grants for single mothers

While the US Department of Education does not offer any federal grants specifically for single mothers and fathers, you can contact your state’s financial aid office to promote what is offered throughout your state. You can access many grants and scholarships by going directly to the college you plan to attend and asking what they offer.


Society of Women Engineers:

It offers scholarships if you are looking for an engineering degree and have been out of college or the workforce for at least two years. The awards, which are renewable, range from $ 1,000 to $ 15,000 each.


Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation:

Offers education or training scholarships of up to $ 5,000 each if you are a single mother and earn less than $ 20,000 a year as a family of two; less than $ 24,000 a year as a family of three; or less than $ 28,000 a year as a family of four. Women are chosen based on their needs, educational goals, career or professional needs, civic goals, activation and service.


Federal Grants:

Federal grants represent one of the longest-running and most widely used financial aid pillars for students. Most federal grants are considered forms of college assistance, but some funds have an attached merit-based component. In other words, some awards also use performance matrices to determine eligibility.

The Federal Government issues more grants than any other entity, so this should be the first stop for all college students who need financial assistance, including single mothers.


Pell Grants:

The federal government offers Pell grants of up to $ 6,195 for the award year from 2019 to 2020, but generally only for college degrees. The amount you are awarded depends on your financial need and whether you are a full-time or part-time student.


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG):

Offers between $ 100 and $ 4,000 per year from the federal government, no matter what you plan to study. Grants vary based on your financial need, but your school must participate in FSEOG, so verify that the school you plan to attend is in the program.


American Association of Grants for the Development of the Career of University Women:

Award between $ 2,000 and $ 12,000 if you already have a college degree.  And expect to do your first master’s degree certification program.  Or specialized / technical training (but not doctoral-level work).


Shirley Holden Helberg grants for Mature Women:

Offers grants of $ 1,000 if you are over the age of 35 and have a career in the arts, writing, or music. You can apply for more than one grant, but you must do it separately for each category.
Be sure to fill out the forms completely and honestly. Mark your calendars when requests are due and follow up when needed.


Before you go, I hope the above article single mom grants for college is informational and helpful for you. If you have more tips feel free to pop it in the comments below to help other people.



Leave a Reply