Can You Get a Refund on Prepaid Visa Card
Most major prepaid credit card issuers, including Visa and MasterCard, treat prepaid card purchases the same way as ordinary credit or debit card purchases. The key to getting a refund for one of these cards is to make sure that your circumstances meet the refund criteria set by the company from which you made the purchase. Once you verify this, the process is simple enough to get a refund from your prepaid credit card, regardless of whether you made the purchase in person or online. In this section, we discuss whether can you get a refund on a prepaid visa card.
Related To Can You Get a Refund on Prepaid Visa Card:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated when you make a purchase after clicking on my links, there is no extra cost to you
Get a refund for a prepaid visa card
Determine the refund policy established by the company that issued the card
The rules and conditions for refunds can be established by the company that issued the card. However, most prepaid credit cards, including those issued by Visa and MasterCard (i.e. almost all), are treated just like regular credit cards. This means that you can get a refund by returning the item like you did when you paid with cash or debit card:
- You can check the website of the company that issued the card or call their customer service line if you prefer to speak to someone in person.
- The information that came with the card may also contain the card’s policy for refunds (if you still have it).
Establish the refund policy for the establishment where you made the purchase
Like the company that issued the credit card, you can determine your own refund policies, the store where you purchased the item or service can determine its own return/refund policies. For example, if you purchased something “as is” or stayed longer than the recovery period for a service, the store may legally reject your refund. Please contact the store before entering to ensure you can get a refund for the item or service:
- Check your receipt. The purchase return or refund period (and other refund conditions) are often listed at the bottom of the receipt.
- If you’re outside the refund window, you can often speak to a supervisor or manager to try to find an exception. For tangible items, the manager may still have authority to accept the return if it is in good condition. For services, the manager can still issue a refund if he can show why he was unhappy.
- Make a note when talking to the manager if he or she offered to make an exception for you. Include the manager’s name, date, etc. Included as documentation in case he or she is not there when you return for the actual refund.
Collect everything you need
Once you’ve verified that you can get a refund, you’ll need to pick up a few items before you return to the business where you made the purchase. If applicable, place the item in its original packaging (if opened). You will also need to bring your prepaid credit card (so that the store can execute the refund), the receipt (so that they know you made the purchase there) and a photo ID (so that you can confirm to the store employee that the card prepaid is yours):
- If you no longer have the receipt, you can try requesting a card activity report from the issuing company to show the store manager that you made the purchase at the location on the specified date. Without any proof that you made a purchase at the respective store, they can refuse the refund or can only refund the store credit based on their return policy.
- If you want a refund for a service, please bring any other supporting documentation to show why you were not satisfied. If a lawn care provider is mowing trees poorly, take pictures for example.
Go to the store for a refund
Take everything you need to the store and request a refund. Most refunds on actual items are processed through a customer service near the store entrance rather than through one of the control stations. Provide everything to the customer service representative and request a refund:
- The employee may request recognition of their phone number or signature.
Be sure to keep a copy of the original receipt if there are other purchases you haven’t returned.
Request an estimate of the repayment date
The refund will take several days to complete. The company that issued the prepaid credit card will have a website or a phone number that you can use to check the card balance. Check the balance frequently to make sure you get a refund within seven business days.
Contact the respective company after seven business days
If you don’t receive a refund within seven business days, call the customer service department of the company where you were supposed to receive the refund. This section can usually check whether the refund has been settled or not. If so, but you have not received the funds, please contact the company that issued the card:
- Keep a record of each of these interactions, including the names of the people you spoke to.
Before you go, I hope this article can you get a refund on a prepaid visa card is helpful and informational for you.