Straight Outta Compton – Dr. Dre’s Top 10 Rules For Success (@drdre)
He’s the founder and current CEO of Aftermath Entertainment and Beats Electronics.
He has produced albums for and overseen the careers of many rappers, including The D.O.C., Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game and Kendrick Lamar.
He is credited as a key figure in the popularization of West Coast G-funk, a style of rap music characterized as synthesizer-based with slow, heavy beats.
He’s Dr. Dre and here are his Top 10 Rules for Success.
* Join my BELIEVE newsletter: http://www.evancarmichael.com/newsletter/
1. Be a perfectionist
He often attended a club called Eve After Dark to watch many DJs and rappers performing live. He subsequently became a DJ in the club, initially under the name “Dr. J”, based on the nickname of Julius Erving, his favorite basketball player.
2. Do it because you love it
At the club, he met aspiring rapper Antoine Carraby, later to become member DJ Yella of N.W.A.
3. Be efficient
In 1986, Dr. Dre met rapper O’Shea Jackson—nicknamed Ice Cube—who collaborated with Dr. Dre to record songs for Ruthless Records, a rap record label run by local rapper Eazy-E.
4. Prepare yourself for the worst
N.W.A favored themes and uncompromising lyrics, offering stark descriptions of violent, inner-city streets.
5. Listen to your gut
Propelled by the hit “Fuck tha Police”, the group’s first full album Straight Outta Compton became a major success, despite an almost complete absence of radio airplay or major concert tours.
6. Be your own worst critic
Dr. Dre’s debut solo album was The Chronic, released under Death Row Records with Suge Knight as executive producer.
7. Find the right approach
On the strength of singles such as “Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang” and “Let Me Ride”, all of which featured Snoop Dogg as guest vocalist, The Chronic became a cultural phenomenon.
8. See the bigger picture
Dr. Dre also won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance for his performance on “Let Me Ride”.
9. Have your eyes on the prize
On August 1, 2015, Dre announced that he would release what would be his final album, titled Compton. It is inspired by the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton and is a compilation-style album, featuring a number of frequent collaborators, including Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Xzibit and The Game, among others.
10. Know your business
He’s at the top of the 2015 Forbes list, with an estimated pre-tax take of $620 million in 2014.
WHAT IS BTA?
* Find out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsY8bmTUVP8
* Subscribe to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=Modelingthemasters
* Leave a comment, thumbs up the video (please!)
* Suppport me: http://www.evancarmichael.com/support/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/evancarmichael
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EvanCarmichaelcom
* Google+: https://plus.google.com/108469771690394737405/posts
* Website: http://www.evancarmichael.com
* About: http://www.evancarmichael.com/about/
* Guides: http://www.evancarmichael.com/zhuge/
* Coaching: http://www.evancarmichael.com/movement/
* Speaking: http://www.evancarmichael.com/speaking/
* Gear: http://evancarmichael.com/Gear.html
* #Entspresso – Weekdays at 7am EST : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM0-kQSSs3Ua5wExlz1HwRRs
* Lunch & Earn – Weekdays at 12pm EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM1j5wXSEqRxhu_MK0g4TA4M
* Top 10 Rules for Success – Weekdays at 8pm EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM0VWRGYCfuUCdyhKfU733WX
* #Entvironment – Saturdays at 7am EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM3ZvpIdZoneTe1KYCVcmfbF
* #EvansBook – Saturdays at 8pm EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM1tNSh0CjOsqIg1fw7bAPt4
* #BelieveLife – Sundays at 7am EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM207_RQCOPAwZdKYXQ4cqjV
* Life with Evan – Sundays at 8pm EST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZj-Ik9MmM19tzfHH_VJOnghbfdRPZjS