Small Business Tax Refund First Year

The time of year is coming to prepare for small business taxes. The sooner you start thinking about business taxes, the more you can save taxes and keep your tax bill low. So now we will talk about getting a small business tax refund first year.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated when you make a purchase after clicking on my links, there is no extra cost to you

Small Business Tax Refund First Year 1

How to prepare your first business tax return

A business startup solution to keep good business records, but if you have a company you are unlikely to get a tax refund. Whereas, if you are working as self employed and doing your personal tax you can get money back with a tax refund if you overpaid on taxes during the year. Make sure that you calculate an estimation of your tax bill before making any tax filings.

The recording of all commercial transactions, including the smallest minor payments, is the basis for tax preparation. Begin to establish a system to capture, record and preserve information on income and business costs. Part of your financial system must include two important financial reports that you can obtain from your accountant or accounting software:

  • Income statement (profit and loss statement) showing monthly business income and expenses, with totals from year to year.
  • Balance showing the financial status of your business at the end of each month, quarter and year.

It is important to capture all business costs since unrecoverable costs cannot be deducted from your business income. You will need, in particular, information at the time about business trips (car costs), as well as meals and entertainment costs to be able to deduct these costs from your taxes.


Get help with your tax return

A business tax advisor is a key member of your support team. As soon as you can, find a tax advisor who can review your financial situation monthly and quarterly and can help you prepare for a business tax season before the end of your first year.


Request the employer identification number (EIN)

Most companies will require EIN (even if the company is not employed), and many financial transactions and business taxes must request this identifier. Keep records of your EIN and other documents related to your business law case, including your request for state registration of your legal business type.


Understand your business tax return

Review the commercial tax reviews for the current year to find out what activities you may need on your tax return. Once you have started a business, spend some time reviewing the documents you will need to file your business taxes. Even if you have a tax preparer to make your business tax return, you should know how it fits everyone and what information you must provide. You will need to know your type of business to know what business tax return is filed. Learn how companies pay different business taxes and you’ll know how to file your business tax return. Most small businesses submit Annex C to report income and business costs.  Review and understand Annex C, taking into account the required information.

Within Annex C, for businesses with products, the cost of goods sold is calculated. If your company buys products for resale or manufactured products, understanding the cost of goods sold can help you prepare for this calculation. When looking at your business tax documents, be sure to include Annex SE, the calculation of self-employment tax. Business owners must pay social security and Medicare taxes based on their business earnings.


Tax Filings Summary

Your federal tax filing obligations and due dates are generally based on the legal structure you have chosen for your business and if you use a calendar or fiscal year.

  • Individual loyalties. If you are an individual owner, you must submit Form C (Business Profit or Loss) each year with your Form 1040 (Single Income Tax Return) to report the net profit and loss of your business. You must also submit Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax) with your 1040. If you are a taxpayer of the calendar year, the tax filing date is April 15. The fourth month after the end of the fiscal year.
  • Corporations and limited liability companies (LLC). Companies established with these structures must submit a Form 1065 (Partnership Income) that reports income and losses to the IRS.
  • Corporations. If your business is structured as a regular corporation, you must file Form 1120 (United States Income Tax Return). In the case of taxpayers of the calendar year, the due date of the declaration is March 15. For corporations of the fiscal year, the statement must be submitted before the 15th of the third month following the end of the fiscal year for a corporation.
  • S Corporations. The owners of these companies must submit Form 1120S (SA Income Tax Declaration for S Corporation). Like corporations, shareholders must obtain a copy of Annex K-1, which is part of Form 1120S. Expiration dates are the expiration dates of regular corporations.


Before you go, I hope this article about the small business tax refund first year is helpful for you. If you need help speak to a small business tax advisor today.



Leave a Reply