Corporation Tax Refund On Losses UK

If your business or organization is subject to corporation tax. And you have a loss from trade, sale or disposal of a capital asset or property income. You may be able to claim an exemption from corporation tax. Is it possible to get the corporation tax refund on losses UK?

You get tax relief by offsetting the loss with your profits or other profits from your business in the same accounting period. You can also choose to refund the loss, otherwise it will carry over to another accounting period.

Related To Corporation Tax Refund On Losses UK:

Business losses:

Business profit or loss for corporate tax purposes is calculated by making normal tax adjustments to the profit or loss figure shown in the financial accounts of your company or organization.

To calculate a business loss, you must:

  • include any capital allowances
  • include any compensation charges
  • excluding any loss or gain that may be incurred from the sale or disposal of assets
  • including certain annuities and charitable donations

If you have a business loss and it cannot be used in the same year. You may be able to choose to return it to earlier accounting periods. Or it will be carried over to offset the gain for periods.

Terminal Loss Relief:

Companies that stop trading can claim terminal loss compensation on losses generated in the last accounting period. Losses can be recovered for up to three years and offset against full profits; CTA 2010, s39, 41. Losses can only be offset if the company made the same trade and is claimed on a LIFO basis.

Terminal loss relief must be claimed within two years after the end of the accounting period in which the loss was incurred. The claim is usually made within the tax return or on an amended tax return, but can be repeated through a separate claim.

Wealth losses:

Companies are subject to corporation tax on their capital gains. However, the relief available for any principal loss is quite limited. Capital gains and losses arising in an accounting period should be added and if there is an overall loss. Any uncompensated capital loss is carried forward and charged to attributable earnings in future accounting periods.

Any claim for loss relief must be made within 2 years after the end of the accounting period in which the loss was incurred. The claim is usually made within the corporate tax return or the amended tax return. If a separate independent claim is made, it must include the following details:

  • Company Name
  • The period in which the loss occurred
  • The amount of the loss
  • How the loss will be used.

Claims can be modified even after they have been submitted as long as you are still within the two year time limit.

So how was the article? Before you go, I hope that this above article about corporation tax refund on losses UK will be helpful and informational for you.

Leave a Reply