5 Things to Focus On as a New Music Producer
What I learned from 100 Music Producers – Part 1
In November I had the opportunity to join over 100 music producers during iStandard’s Beat Camp in New York City. You might think, what is someone who runs an online accounting service doing there?
Well, as an online accounting consultant focused on creative industries, with clients in the music industry I figured I could learn a lot from the people there which could benefit my clients!
Here are some things I learned from the producers I met, which I believe can make a huge difference to you and your business.
When you start your music production business, what should you focus on, what should you invest in to become a success?
Whether you’re a music producer, singer or visual artist these tips are vital:
1. You are unique and because of that you offer something special – so don’t try to become someone else. Grammy award winning producer S1 mentioned he was tired of everyone sounding the same. Riggs Morales, VP of A&R & Artist Development, also added he’s constantly looking for a NEW sound.
Osho said:“Drop the idea of becoming someone, because you are already a masterpiece.You cannot be improved. You have only come to it, know it and realize it”
2. DJ Scratch shared: “Relations are everything, in every business”. Focus your attention on building partnerships and strong networks with key people who can help you to grow and progress. You can kick start your business by using social media effectively and connecting with influencers within the community or upcoming music bloggers.
3. Many of our clients in the music industry start on a very tight budget. The advice of Dove Clark, entertainment publicist, is to start with small investments to show people you are serious about your work and build a strong foundation. From there you can easily scale up when you become more known and established.
4. An important tip from social media expert, Sabrina Chaudhary and Simone “Boss Lady” Amelia, is to get a strong support team around you, to help you with graphic design, marketing and proofreading of promotional materials and letters.
5. Last but not least, a number of music producers shared with me that one of the best things they did when they started their business was getting an accounting consultation. It helped them to set up a financially strong business, making more profit quickly and wasting less money.
If you want to find out more about what I learned or would like to setup a free accounting consultation – get in touch today! I would love to talk how I can add value to your business.